Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Kandinsky @ Guggenheim

I made it. The show comes down tomorrow, so I spun la bicicleta up to 89th this morning to check it out!

I was most shocked by how incredible his EARLY works were. Kandinsky dropped out of law school in 1896, when he was thirty years old, and became a full time artist.

Below are my faves and notes I want to share with you.

Riding Couple 1907 (THiS WAS ENOUGH FOR ME TO JUSTiFY THE ENTiRE TRiP!)


Landscape Near Murnau with Locomotive 1909


Blue Mountain 1908-1909 (YES!)


Improvisation 7 (Storm) 1910


Lyrical 1911 (Like Chagall, Kandinsky loved to paint caballos y their riders and I really enjoyed the illustration of the two...)


Impression III 1911 (One of my faves!)


Light Picture 1913 (Kandinsky is changing, notice the strong, sharp, black lines...)


Black Lines 1913


Red Spot II 1921 (I dig the corners.)


Comp 8 1923 (THiS iS WHAT i THiNK OF WHEN i HEAR "KANDiNSKY"!!!)


Several Circles 1926 (FANTASTiC!)


*In considering a place to move, Kandisky realized Moscow and Paris were the places he loved the most... He moved to Paris and the softer light (than Moscow) inspired him for the MUCH lighter works that follow...

Accompanied Contrast 1935 (The colors remind me of my Mom...)


Succession 1935 (Very playfully intelligent - another favorite!)


Grouping 1937 (Totally different palette...)


Thirty 1937 (BLACK AND WHiTE!)


Capricious Forms 1937


Around the Circle 1940


Sky Blue 1940 (Clearly Miro inspired.)


Reciprocal Accords Jan 1942 (This was the last, large scale, painting Kandinsky made; WW2 forced him to scrounge for everything from materials to heat.)


*Kandinsky ate it on Dec. 13, 1944; what a talent, what a life... WELL DONE.

Check out the online exhibit ...

HELL YUP!

No comments: